Interior Decorating Guides Tips Services
Linstel MG Interior Decorating Services
Mobile Numbers: + 63 919 270 8226 / + 63 915 865 8919
Color Tricks for Your Rooms
By BBC.co.uk Homes
There are plenty of tricks with color that can be used to enhance the size of rooms in a house. Careful use of color can offer a simple, but effective, way of making a home feel cozier.
Follow these design rules to transform an existing living space into a dream home:
To make a room appear larger
• Choose colors from the cool end (lower left side) of the color wheel.
• Paint all surfaces the same color.
• Keep flooring dark and walls light, the floor space will appear to expand.
• A low ceiling will appear higher if painted a lighter shade than the walls or put some moldings up and paint them a darker shade than the ceiling.
• Use the deepest tone of color near to the floor and the lightest shade on the ceiling. This will give the illusion of space. Try it the other way around to see how a room can be made to look smaller.
• Large pieces of furniture will appear smaller if they are the same color as the walls.
• A small room doesn't have to be painted in light colors. Emphasize its cosines by painting it a midnight blue or deep red.
To make a room appear cozier
• Choose colors from the warm side (right side) of the color wheel.
• A sunny yellow will 'heat up' a room, but don't go overboard, complement it with a white ceiling and woodwork to keep it looking fresh.
• A warmer shade used on the ceiling will bring the height of a room down and make it feel cozier.
• When using bright colors such as orange and red, remember to maintain balance by keeping the floor and carpet neutral.
• The far end of a long corridor will seem closer if painted in a darker shade.
• In a long corridor-like room, paint the two, shorter end walls in a slightly darker shade to make the room appear squarer.